Transfer Student Options

As a student in Michigan you have the advantage of an outstanding higher education system that provides many paths to a college degree. The following tools are designed to help you as you navigate your educational experience:

Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)

The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) is designed to help students transfer from one of Michigan's community colleges to a four-year college or university in the state. (The MTA replaced the previous MACRAO Transfer Agreement beginning in the fall of 2014.) If you're unsure about which academic program to pursue or about which four-year college or university to transfer to, the MTA is an place to start when selecting community college courses. The MTA requires a minimum of 30 semester hours of college-level credit which will fulfill most, if not all, of the lower-division general education requirements at participating four-year colleges or universities.

For more information, visit the Michigan Transfer Agreement page on our website.

Transfer Guides and Plans

If you have decided on an academic program and you know which four-year college or university you plan to transfer to, a transfer guide is your best resource when selecting community college courses.

Usually, transfer guides (may also be referred to as curricular guides or transfer plans) will include courses offered by the community college that transfer to the four-year school and fulfill requirements within a bachelor’s degree. Transfer guides may also include other pertinent information such as admission requirements for a major, academic grade requirements, knowledge/skills gained within the major, and career information. Although most four-year colleges and universities make transfer guides available on their institution’s website, many community colleges will also link to them from their website. You are encouraged to contact your community college counselor/advisor and four year school.

Articulation Agreements

An articulation agreement is a formally signed agreement between two partner colleges or universities. Depending on your situation, it can be an excellent path towards completing your educational goals.

Although an articulation agreement is similar to a transfer guide, it usually includes a value-added component. This could be pre-approved course substitutions, a block of two-year college courses which fulfill a block of four-year college or university courses, full acceptance of a two-year technical or applied degree as fulfilling half of a four-year degree (2+2), and/or allowance of more than the maximum number of credits transferring from the community college (3+1).

As you can see, an articulation agreement can be considered to be a more detailed transfer guide. For more information regarding articulation agreements, you should contact your college counselor or academic advisor.

Other Transfer Student Resources

There are many resources available to help make your path to a bachelor’s degree a smooth one; you are encouraged to take advantage of them.

College Advising or Counseling Office

Your two-year college counselors and academic advisors can assist you with career information, four-year college options, and transfer plans, including information on the Michigan Transfer Agreement, transfer guides, and articulation agreements.

Michigan Transfer Network (

The Michigan Transfer Network, now located at, allows students to view transfer course equivalencies between many Michigan colleges and universities. The site also has many helpful tools to learn more about transferring and how to plan for the best transfer experience.

Admissions Representatives

Admissions representatives from Michigan's colleges and universities can help you with the transfer admissions process. They can also provide information regarding transfer credit, transfer guides and articulation agreements, transfer scholarships, and other transfer student information.

Michigan College Access Network (MCAN)

The Michigan College Access Network coordinates Michigan college access resources, programs and services.