MACRAO (The Michigan Association of
Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) provides for the exchange of information concerning issues of interest to its members and to contribute to the advancement of education in Michigan.
The association, through an annual meeting, other workshops and seminars, contacts with educational leaders and other professional associations in the state, strives to provide professional development opportunities for its members as well as provide a forum for discussion and the exchange of ideas.
One of the significant accomplishments of the association is the "MACRAO Agreement“. This agreement, designed to facilitate transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate colleges and universities, provides for transferability of up to 30 semester credits to meet many (in some cases all) of the general education requirements at the four-year colleges. Students may complete the MACRAO Agreement as part of an associate’s degree or as a stand-alone package.
Michigan College and University Pages
In the spirit of cooperation and the goal of facilitating the transfer process, MACRAO developed the Michigan Colleges and Universities pages. These pages contain links for all MACRAO member institutions to home pages, online admission applications, and transfer equivalency information.
Definition of an Official Transcript
In an effort to address the continuing issue of fraudulent transcripts, MACRAO developed a definition of an official transcript and defined significant criteria for authentication. This information has been shared by member institutions with businesses and other educational institutions. This document was created in 1987 and revised in 2007.
Michigan Transfer Network (MTN)
In 2007, MACRAO went live with the Michigan Transfer Network. The network provides students and other interested parties one site where they can see how their courses would transfer to other schools or to find what schools offer specific courses they may need to take to transfer back to their home institution.
This award is given annually by AACRAO (The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers). It recognizes up to three outstanding state and regional activities, such as program sessions, projects, workshops, and publications. MACRAO has won for the following initiatives or events:
- 2008 - Michigan Transfer Network (MTN) Project
- 2000 - Summer Articulation Conference
- 1998 - New Professionals Workshop
- 1997 - FERPA Brochure
- 1994 - Support Staff of the Year Award/Support Staff Workshop
Constitution & By-Laws
MACRAO, as a professional organization, is committed to the following values:
- To provide a high level of professional development opportunities for its members
- To provide assistance to its membership by helping to develop best practices in providing services and developing policies
- To collaborate with the state and other educational organizations to further the advancement of higher education in the state of Michigan
- To provide opportunities, through meetings and events, to educate members and exchange ideas